Palmetto Artist Series
We are pleased to present the ninth season of the Palmetto Artist Series. With an aim towards excellence and joy, the purpose of the Palmetto Artist Series is to positively impact the community by providing cultural enrichment that reflects the natural creativity given by God.
Season Pass ($60)
Upcoming Events for 2015-2016
Soli Deo Gloria, a Season Appetizer
Columbia native and SAPC’s own Sharon Hudson Rattray will present a free, pre-season musical appetizer as we anticipate a great year in the arts here at SAPC! As an accompanist for the University of South Carolina School of Music and the Lexington County Choral Society—in addition to numerous other musical groups through the years—much of the Midlands knows Sharon as an exceptional pianist. But St. Andrews is proud to call her our organist. Join us for a dynamic concert of classics and beloved hymn arrangements. Come be reminded why the organ has been dubbed the “King of Instruments,” as we explore all the colors, sounds, and dynamics of our Walker organ. No doubt there will be some surprise guests for the evening, too!
Sharon Hudson Rattray in Concert
Thursday, September 10, 2015, 7:00 p.m.
The Kiev Symphony Orchestra & Chorus
Our season begins with a magnificent cross-cultural musical experience. In their second appearance in the Palmetto Artist Series, this orchestra and chorus composed of 45 select musicians from the country of Ukraine will envelope the audience with their stirring music. Having had a special place in our hearts for many years, St. Andrews Presbyterian Church has had the opportunity to partner with a church, orphanage, and medical clinic in Ukraine. Given the current political and military crisis in that country, the gospel and mercy ministries of MMK are as critically important as ever in their 20 plus years of existence, since the fall of the Soviet Union.
Music Mission Kiev
Friday, September 25, 2015, 7:00 p.m.
Andrew Peterson: The Burning
One of the most thoughtful, poetic, and lyrical songwriters of his generation, Andrew Peterson offers his vocal and guitar skills to our community. An author as well as a musician, he brings a sense of rootedness that listeners, readers, and fans respond to deeply, reminding us again and again of simple, solid things like love, friendship, hope, redemption, and beauty; and how our stories were meant to be shared; and how the darkness will not always hold sway. With a love for Christ and His Kingdom and a belief in the power of story and art, Andrew Peterson seeks to use his gifts to tell the truth, and to tell it as beautifully as he can. Andrew’s current tour is in conjunction with his brand new album release, The Burning Edge of Dawn, and we are delighted to be part of the tour.
Edge of Dawn Album Release Tour
Friday, October 16, 2015, 7:00 p.m.
Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol
For over 170 years, Charles Dickens’ ghostly Christmas tale of old, miserly Ebenezer Scrooge has thrilled readers and audiences alike with its message of love and generosity. During this Thanksgiving season, the SAP Players offer up this classic play to help us properly frame the season toward sharing the charity and goodwill of Christ to those around us, refuting the contemporary emphasis on consumerism. Bring the family and join us in our Great Hall for this classic, holiday season drama. Selections catered from one of Columbia’s favorite dessert bars—Nonnah’s—will be served at intermission. In the spirit of the production, we invite you to bring canned goods for distribution to the hungry in our community.
SAP Players Dessert Theater
November 19, 20, & 21, 2015, 7:00 p.m.
The Many Moods of Christmas
The Worship & Arts Ministry of St. Andrews Presbyterian Church presents this annual Christmas musical celebration. Classic Christmas carols are presented by a festival-sized choir and orchestra, along with children, bells, drama, and dance in a presentation that has quickly become an annual holiday tradition for many Midlands families. The event is free of charge and no tickets are required for admission. A nursery for children five and under is provided.
Saturday, December 12, 2015, 6:00 p.m.
Sunday, December 13, 2015, 6:00 p.m.
Point of Grace
“God placed the longing for eternal home in every human heart,” says Shelley Breen. “Some people search for it their entire lives.” For Shelley, Denise Jones, and Leigh Cappillino, who comprise the multi-platinum trio Point of Grace, that lifelong search has been captured in song. As a group, it’s a journey that’s 20 years in and 13 albums deep, punctuated with 27 #1 songs, 13 Dove Awards, two GRAMMY nominations, and being one of the Top 10 best-selling artists in the history of Contemporary Christian music. But to stop there is to capture only a single dimension of these multi-talented women. It’s their ministry and heart for those they encounter along the way that continually sets them apart. “The thing that propels us on,” Shelley continues, “is that we love God and we love to serve people.”
Friday, February 19, 2016, 7:00 p.m.
In God We Trust!
As citizens of the eternal Kingdom of God, what actions can Christians take to be conscientious citizens of our temporal home here? Join choir, orchestra, and drama as SAPC’s Worship & Arts Ministry presents this festive, patriotic service celebrating God’s goodness to the United States of America and praying for her leaders, armed forces, first responders, and citizenry. The event is free of charge and no tickets are required for admission. A nursery for children five and under is provided.
Sunday, May 1, 2016, 6:00 p.m.
Tim Zimmerman & The King’s Brass
One of our Series’ favorites, Tim Zimmerman & The King’s Brass are back by popular demand to close out our ninth season. For over 20 years, The King’s Brass has provided innovative worship for young and old alike through the best in sacred brass music. These Christian professionals from around the United States perform their original arrangements with three trumpets, three trombones, a tuba, keyboards, and percussion. This fresh, creative, and engaging group is not to be missed! Join us also for Sunday morning worship on June 19 as The King’s Brass provides musical leadership in our worship service at 10:30 a.m. A nursery is provided during our worship service.
Saturday, June 18, 2016, 7:00 p.m.
- ALL PURCHASES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE
- FEES: All online purchases will be charged a $2.00 handling fee (listed under shipping), which includes mailing your tickets if your order is placed a week or more before the performance.
- MAILING TICKETS: Tickets purchased within one week of the performance will not be mailed but will automatically be put on hold in our offices. They may picked up during business hours or at will-call (opens one hour before the concert). (There are no mailing fee refunds for tickets which are held in our offices.)
- EVENT TIMES & DATES: PLEASE NOTE days/dates/times carefully.All programs, dates, and artists are subject to change. Any variations will be published on the website.
- SEASON PASSES: Season passes ($60) may be purchased through September 25, 2015.
- LAST-MINUTE PURCHASES: Sell-outs are anticipated. If tickets are still available the evening of the event, they may be purchased at will-call (on the first floor).
- LOCATION: All events are held on the campus of St. Andrews Presbyterian Church, 6952 St. Andrews Rd., Columbia, SC 29212.
- SEATING: Doors open no later than 30 minutes prior to each event. All seats are unassigned. Please arrive early.
- HANDICAPPED ACCESS: The sanctuary is located on the second floor. For your comfort, handicapped drop-off access and two elevators are available. For easiest access, look for the doors labeled as handicapped accessible. (The easiest access is from the back of the church.)
- YOUTH TICKETS: Free youth tickets must be requested from the Worship & Arts Administrator (732–2273 x105). Since there are a limited number of these for each event, it is suggested that you request these as early as possible. Youth tickets WILL NOT be issued the day of the event.
- NURSERY: Except where noted, nursery facilities are not available. Bringing babies and small children is discouraged.
Interested in corporate sponsorship? Contact Jomona Williamson (732-2273 x105).
Artist Series Friends ($300)
If circumstances allow, please consider showing your support as an Artist Series Friend. Artist Series Friends are special sponsors of the Palmetto Artist Series, and are given:
- Two season passes, mailed at no extra charge
- Tax deduction for total, less ticket costs (check with your tax advisor)
- Option for advance purchase of next season’s tickets, including early mailing
- Acknowledgement at concert series events